Source: Ministry of Foreign Affairs,
Residence permit by real estate acquisition
- What is the duration of the residence permit ;
- Can the residence permit be renewed?
Yes, for another 5 years each time, provided that the applicant still owns the property
- May the members of the investor’s family request a residence permit?
Yes. The may request individual residence permits . They must though submit separate applications. Their own permit expires at the same date that the investor’s permit expires.
- Do persons holding a residence permit have the right to work in Greece?
- If I get a residence permit, can I add the period of its duration to the total duration needed in order to request the Greek nationality;
- I would like to request a residence permit. Should I get an entry visa for Greece before I submit my application for the residence permit?
Only if you come from a country, whose citizens are required to get an entry visa in order to come to Greece.
- Where should I submit the application for a residence permit;
At the Directorate of Foreign Citizens and Immigration of the Decentralized Administration, at the location of his residence. In some areas though, the application should be submitted to the Municipality of his/her residence. In the latter case, the file must transferred to the Decentralized Administration within 15 days.
- Who decides on the application for a residence permit ;
The Secretary General of the Decentralized Administration.
- What advantages provides to its holder a residence permit in Greece?
- He/she may stay continuously in Greece for its whole duration
- He/she may travel to other Schengen countries without a visa, but his/her stay in those countries cannot exceed 90 days in each 6-month period.
- He/she has access to health or education services, just like any Greek citizen.
- How long can it take until the residence permit is issued?
It must be issued within 2 months from the day on which the application was submitted or reached the Decentralized Administration.
- Is the applicant covered from the moment he/she submitted the application until the day the residence permit is issued?;
Yes. -If all the supporting documents are submitted, a proof of submission Is issued.
- If an application for a residence permit is submitted for the first time, this proof of submission is issued, even if the supporting documents with regard to the insurance coverage or the medical certificate of the applicant will be submitted at a later date.
- What is the duration of the proof of submission regarding an application for a residence permit?
- I submitted an application for a residence permit and I was given a document proving its submission. What can I do with it?
You may travel freely as often as you wish to/from Greece.
Attention: you are not allowed to travel to any other Schengen country. This means that any flight schedule that requires a flight transfer at the airport of an other Schengen country should be avoided.