Cumartesi, 21 Ocak 2017 14:22

Legal advice to buy a property in Greece



Legal advice


It is strongly recommended that you choose an independent lawyer who is specialised in Greek land law . Independent means that they work on your behalf only and are not also looking after the interests of the seler  or developer. The Greek property conveyancing system is different from other countries so you should ensure that those involved in the transaction are qualified and experienced in Greece.

Exercise extreme caution if an estate agent, promoter or lawyer urges you to cut corners to save money or time. 

A Greek notary public will be involved in preparing the contract of sale and issuing the public deeds. As the purchaser, you have the right to choose which notary you use, in Greece the buyer has the privilage to choose the Notary Public . The notary is a public servant who has a duty to provide you with free and impartial legal advice on all aspects of the contract before you sign and he bears all the responsibility if something goes wrong . It is a good idea to seek advice from the notary early on. When a date is set for signing the contract, you have three days beforehand to visit the notary and ask any questions you may have about any aspect of the contract. Please contact us This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to give send you a list of Notary Public .

If you choose to work with a local (partner you find in your country which has colaboration with real estate agent, lawyer and Notary Public in Greece )  estate agent, promoter or lawyer, check that they are qualified, reliable and have experience operating in Greece. Check that they are registered with the Law Society in your country  and specialise in International Transactions. If your lawyer is based in Greece , ask for their registration number and check that they are registered and practising with the local bar association of Athens or Piraeus . 

You should also check that your lawyer has professional indemnity insurance and not sign any papers or hand over any money until you have taken independent legal advice. Although the we cannot recommend a lawyer, we do have lists of local English-speaking lawyers and qualified translators available .

Should you become involved in a property dispute, but do not have sufficient means to meet the costs of a court case, you can apply for legal aid. More information is available on the European E-Justice Portal. Applications for those resident in Greece should be directed to the local bar assosiations in Greece . 

You can contact us : [email protected]r  via whatsapp or viber . 

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. veya 00306987098983 whatsapp ve viber vasıtasıyla irtibata geçebilirsiniz



Okunma 1304 defa